Thursday, April 15, 2010

What worked well this week


Two activities I did this week might be of use in your creative classes if you have not tried them before.

The younger classes were exploring the theme of "Houses" (above is a photo of our "Teepee" village) and as one of the activities I asked them to make statue shapes with windows, doors, tower, bridges etc. I then reminded them of the story of the 3 Little Pigs and how the Big, Bad Wolf huffed and puffed and blew the straw and wood house down but couldn't blow the brick one down. I then tried to discover what material they were by feeling how strong they were...the straw collapsed, the wood wobbled and the brick was immovable. This activity gave the students a clear difference in the feeling of internal strength and they loved to trick me by starting off brick then turning to straw and falling down.

The other idea I used in the older classes when we were doing mirroring exercises. I asked pairs to copy each other but instead of a mirroring their partner I wanted them to do the same movement - if A raises and moves his right hand , B facing him moves her right hand. A little more difficult than classic mirroring but it resulted in creating some very interesting movement sequences that travelled in opposite directions.

I hope these ideas can be helpful. Did you do anything that worked really well this week? I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment