Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Down Side


I love teaching but the business side of having a dance school can certainly give me grief. Every term I expect to lose 10 students for various reasons and always hope that parents will let me know if their child is leaving so that if they change their mind at a later date (or bump into me in the street) they don't feel awkward. Yet few do.

This week coming back from holidays there were dancers missing and their friends informed me they have "quit". Quit is a very powerful word I find and in these circumstances makes me instantly want to "quit" too. With an attrition rate quite high (about 15%) I have to constantly find new students to keep the school viable. Advertising is not nearly as successful as "word of mouth" with "bring a friend" week being the best way to give friends a taste of our dancing. Still with so much competition for the students time from sport, other dance schools and drama I often feel exhausted by the struggle to keep positive.

Do you have similar issues? What are your strategies? I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. Retention is one of the most allusive and frustrating things for me. After several years of trying to analyze trends and cater programs towards building retention of students from year to year, my current view on it is that not everyone is going to stay no matter what-and that's ok. Our programs are going to be right for some people and not for others. I take such pride in a small group of students who are 12 and 13 and started here when they were 4. We must be doing something right.

    I do run into people who have "quit" from time to time...actually probably more than most dance studios because our program is part of a community center with many diverse program offerings and I will occasionally lose students to fencing, or basketball, or art--at the same building! I just tell them I miss them in dance and that they are welcome to come back any time. By keeping it positive, the awkwardness is on them and not on me. Chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lauren! It is a new week and I feel a more relaxed about the situation which as you say is part and parcel of what we do. I have been thinking too about those students who have been dancing since they were 4 and are now teenagers and how much I appreciate their enthusiasm and commitment.I love to hear from people like yourself who experience the same retention issues. It makes me realize it is not just me. I appreciate your comments very much!

    ReplyDelete