Friday, June 11, 2010

A Question of Balance


This week I have been reading "Improv Wisdom" by Patricia Madson which is full of ideas about taking the notion of improvisation into every day life. As I spend most of my working life improvising but the rest planning, making "to do" lists and fitting everything into the day I thought it an interesting concept to explore.

It has got me thinking about the question of balance. We seem to always be striving for the balance in our lives, becoming aware that we are tipping too much one way or another and trying to get back to balance as if balance is the Holy Grail and static. But it seems to me balance is dynamic and that the forces that pull us each and every way are a dance in themselves. Just as the small dance of the muscles in the standing position keeps us upright and ready to move (imagine if the muscles were totally held with tension in the standing balance- it would be so hard to respond) the forces that pull us this way and that keep us alive to the present.

So to my week. My daughter is back from New York with a terrible chest infection so she has returned home to be nurtured by her Mummy and Daddy not what I had expected to fit in with my normal schedule, a friend forgot she was coming to visit and I had put off doing other things to see her, someone changes another appointment, I have a problem with my front tooth and need to see the dentist straight away and I am going on holidays and want all my work done so I wont need to be thinking of it while I am away. The demands on my time keep mounting...Aaaagh! All I can do is, like any improviser, face the situation as it comes to me, respond in the best way possible and keep going a moment at a time. Did I succeed....mmmmm. Anybody else in a similar situation? I would love to hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like you are doing a perfect example of skillful improvising. Doing what comes next (your tooth) while juggling helping an ailing daughter is the essence of what makes up a successful life. Things rarely come in an orderly way. Making sense out of the moment is what it is all about. Brava to you for playing with balance. And thank you for mentioning my book, Improv Wisdom. It makes me very happy to know that this little book is running around the world helping people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just figured out that you were in Australia!!!! Oh my gosh. That's great. Good luck with your wonderful dance work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! How amazing to get a reply from you! I would have not thought to contact you...the internet is truly an amazing thing! I have found so much of interest in your book...truly inspiring! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words. And, yes, the Internet makes the world intimate sometimes. I am grateful to meet friends far away. Again, thanks for writing about the book, and keep on saying YES to life!

    ReplyDelete